Tuesday, July 2, 2013

What Would You Do?

What Would You Do?
Actor Pierce Brosnan's daughter, Charlotte, died last week from ovarian cancer at the age of 41.  That is the same disease that killed his wife 22 years ago.  I can only imagine the pain that he is going through having lost both his wife AND daughter to the same awful disease.

It makes me ponder a subject that I've been on the fence about for some time: Genetic testing to determine predisposition to certain diseases.  Now, I don't know all of the facts surrounding their family's battle with this horrible monster, ovarian cancer; but I do know that if found early, most cancers can be subdued and often times eradicated.  I'm not saying this would have been the case for the Brosnan family.  I'm just considering the subject of genetic testing.

I've often thought that I wouldn't want to mess with God's plan.  If I ever became pregnant, I wouldn't want to know what the sex of the baby was, before birth.  In my mind, that would be like reading the last pages of a book, prior to even starting to read it.  But life-threatening illnesses are a bit different.  We have the technology to battle them now, or at least give someone a fighting chance against diseases like cancers.

Some people wouldn't want to know about something like that and just take the cards that are dealt to them in this life.  I can understand and respect that stance as well.

Would you get genetic testing done if a family member of yours died due to a disease like cancer? Why or why not?  Drop us an email.

No comments:

Post a Comment