Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Sweet Victory

I used to complain about American Idol, when they would run over the broadcast time to announce the winner of their title.  It was pure hell for those of us who DVRed the program to watch it without commercials.  The Voice on NBC did that last night.

Fortunately, I wasn't nearly as upset with The Voice, as I have been in the past with American Idol; mostly because for once, a reality talent show actually had three quality finalists.  I would've been pleased as punch for Will Champlin, Jacquie Lee or Tessanne Chin, no matter which one picked up the win.

Let's face it though, it wasn't a huge surprise that Tessanne won.  If you followed iTunes sales, you could easily see that she had TWO of her songs from the final competition night in the top 10 from the time that broadcast ended, until the reveal show began on Tuesday night.  Further, she sang Whitney Houston's "I Have Nothing," flawlessly.  That just doesn't happen.

But Tessanne and her new title are not really the reason for my writing today.  I need to know if, like me, you were mesmerized--and not in a good way--by the Lady Gaga and Christina Aguilera duet.

I get that Gaga's thing is crazy fashion and wild looks.  I'm fully aware that Christina has become the Dolly Parton of pop, when it comes to wigs.  At least, I assume she's been sporting wigs, as I find it hard to believe that her hairstylist can change her hair that drastically several times during a live show, but I could be wrong.

Regardless, the duet the two performed was akin to watching visions of sugar plums dancing in children's heads.  Seriously, the pair resembled two balls of cotton candy twirling about on the stage.  When your hair and outfit distract from the vocals, I think it's time to reevaluate your ideas of fashion.  I can't even remember what they sang, or what I thought of it.  All I can think about is white cotton candy and how much cotton candy disgusts me.  It's way too sugary!

That super-sweet thought is applicable for the interview that followed the performance, as it was a love-fest between the two women, who apparently never met, prior to doing this duet together on the show.  It's swell that two rich women, who sing for a living are incredibly smitten with one another.  How refreshing to find out that Gaga is down-to-earth and REFUSED to come on the show, until she could be assured that Christina would perform with her.  I'm not sure how I would've caught some Z's, had I not heard those nuggets.  I can't help but think, had they not gushed on and on about each other, we MIGHT have been able to squeeze in the announcement of who won before the DVR shut off where the broadcast SHOULD HAVE ended.  

Despite the fact that I had to whip out my iPad mini to search for who actually won, it didn't bother me.  I knew Tessanne had pulled out the victory.  And I dreamt of white cotton candy, with extra long eyelashes that would not stop talking.  I may need therapy.

No comments:

Post a Comment